In cleaning off my desk and deciding to save or throw away some material, I came across a copy of Executive Leadership that someone gave me a year ago. I was never able to read it (despite it’s very concise format) and the article entitled “12 traits you need at the top”. They are below (and I added a few comments):
1) Attitude: good leaders stay positive.
2) Tenacity:you have to go the extra mile. Do more, not less.
3) Risk Tolerance:Mistakes help you learn (even when it does not feel like it!).
4) Active Honesty: Carelessness with facts, or any level of dishonestly kills your credibility (and you do not get it back).
5) Prudence: Think before you speak.
6) Originality: People like to feel that they are breaking new ground with your leadership. Be original.
7) Modesty: It is better to have other people recognize your ability than to point it out yourself. If you are in a situation that makes this a challenge (for example someone has no problem taking your ideas for their own), find a better situation.
8) Style: They are not talking about your clothes, but what you do while in your clothes!
9) Willingness to Admit Mistakes: If you are error-free, you are likely effort-free or not authentic.
10) Downward Loyalty: Leaders support, develop and protect the individuals on their team.
11) Straightforwardness: People can more easily understand and support what is simple and direct.
12) Inquisitiveness: Curiosity leads organizations into new directions.
Excellent traits to make sure you not only have but practice consistently!